Public Comment On Reappointment of Magistrate Judge Elizabeth D. Laporte
Deadline August 23:
PUBLIC NOTICE OF MAGISTRATE JUDGE REAPPOINTMENT
The current term of office of United States Magistrate Judge Elizabeth D. Laporte is due to expire on April 3, 2014. The United States District Court is required by law to establish a panel of citizens to consider the reappointment of the magistrate judge to a new 8-year term.
The duties of the magistrate judge position include the following:
- conduct of most preliminary proceedings in criminal cases;
- trial and disposition of misdemeanor cases;
- conduct of various pretrial matters and evidentiary proceedings on delegation from the judges of the district court;
- trial and disposition of civil cases upon consent of the litigants; and
- conduct of settlement conferences.
Comments from members of the bar and the public are invited as to whether the incumbent magistrate judge should be recommended by the panel for reappointment by the court and should be submitted in writing no later than August 23, 2013 to:Richard W. Wieking
Clerk of Court
United States District Court
450 Golden Gate Avenue
P.O. Box 36060
San Francisco, CA 94102