Application for Lawyer Representative To The Ninth Circuit Now Open
Due September 9:
The Northern District of California is seeking federal practitioners interested in bench and bar activities to apply to serve as Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representatives. Six Lawyer Representatives will be appointed in the Northern District this year, each to serve three-year terms. Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, September 9, 2013.
Lawyer Representatives help plan the annual Northern District Judicial Conference and attend the annual Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference. Serving as a Lawyer Representative provides a unique opportunity to meet and interact on an informal basis with judges and lawyers at the district and circuit levels. It also allows Lawyer Representatives to draw on their experience as federal practitioners to assist in improving the administration of justice.
An Order of the Ninth Circuit Judicial Council spells out five criteria for selection:
- A lawyer admitted to practice in the district court and actively involved in federal practice;
- A lawyer interested in the purposes and work of the annual conference;
- A lawyer willing and able to contribute actively to the purposes and work of the annual conference;
- A lawyer willing to assist in implementing conference programs with the local bar; and
- A lawyer, together with others selected, who will constitute a fair cross-section of practitioners before the federal courts of the district.
An application with directions for submission is available with this notice. If you have any questions about the application process, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for your interest!
Thomas Koegel and Bijal Vakil, Lawyer Representative Co-Chairs