Criminal Justice Act (CJA)
The Criminal Justice Act (CJA) (United States Code: Title 18, § 3006A) provides federal funds for attorneys, experts, and services necessary for the adequate representation of indigent defendants. In the Northern District, the CJA Unit of the Clerk's Office administers the CJA.
In addition to overseeing payment to counsel and experts, the CJA Unit serves as a resource for panel members in their representation of indigent clients.
Effective September 21, 2015, all claims for compensation under the CJA in the Northern District of California must made through eVoucher.
CJA POLICY DOCUMENTS AT A GLANCE:
- General Order 2—CJA Plan
- General Order 50—CJA Procedures
- MOU re: Assessment of Indigence (April 2014)
NOTE TO VISITORS:
The CJA Unit is currently doing some website housekeeping. If you have trouble finding what you are looking for, please contact us.
General CJA Topics
Becoming a Panel Member—
- CJA Compensation Rates
- Education, Training, and Resources
- eVoucher Electronic Voucher System
- Fact Witnesses—Subpoenas and Expenses
- Forms & Instructions
- Funding Requests (Expert & Other Services)
- Information for Experts & Other Service Providers
- Voucher Checklist
Authorization to Exceed the Case