Notice re: Press and Public Access to Jury Trial Proceedings
At this time, the Court anticipates the following, which may change with any updated safety protocols:
- The jury trial in this case will take place in Judge Davila’s courtroom (Courtroom 4, 5th Floor).
- All courthouse visitors are required to follow the court’s safety protocols, including wearing a mask in all common areas of the courthouse and in the courtroom if so instructed by the judge. All visitors must review the court’s COVID-19 Pre-Screening Questionnaire prior to arriving at the courthouse.
- There will be no live remote public access (e.g., telephone or Zoom) to jury trial proceedings in this case.
- An overflow room with live audio or video will be available in the San Jose courthouse (Courtroom 7).
- Public seating in the courtroom and overflow room is limited and will be first-come, first-served. As needed, court staff may issue tickets for courtroom seating. Tickets will be numbered and will allow attendance in either Courtroom 4 (trial courtroom) or Courtroom 7 (overflow room). Tickets do not guarantee a particular seat in the gallery, but attendees will line up and enter the courtroom by ticket number (i.e., lower ticket number equals earlier courtroom entry). Tickets are dated, are valid for the indicated date only, and must be presented to court staff upon request.
- Spectators who anticipate needing to exit the courtroom before recesses, or taking notes on electronic devices, are asked to sit in the back rows of the gallery, near the courtroom doors.
- Courtroom doors will open at 8:30 a.m. each morning of trial. The San Jose courthouse building opens at 7:30 a.m. A waiting area and queue will be set up in the hallway outside of the courtroom.
- Any photography, audio recording, video recording, telephone calls, or live transmission of audio or video inside the courtroom is absolutely prohibited. Please note that photography, audio recording, and video recording is also prohibited in all common areas inside the courthouse. See General Order 58.
- Electronic devices will be permitted for note-taking or live text reporting. Keyboards must be touchscreen/silent.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEEDINGS IN THIS ACTION
Some pretrial hearings in this case may be held by teleconference or by Zoom Webinar videoconference. Call-in or login information is available on the PACER docket, on the judge’s calendar, or by emailing email@example.com.
For teleconferences: please call in at least 5 minutes before the hearing is scheduled to begin, make sure your phone is muted, and stay on the line for the entire hearing so that the proceedings are not disrupted.
For videoconferences: see the court’s instructions on observing a Zoom Webinar as a non-participating “Attendee.”
Important: any recording, copying, or rebroadcasting of a remote court hearing is absolutely prohibited. See General Order 58 and the court’s Notice Regarding Press and Public Access to Court Hearings.
Due to the level of interest in this case, this web page has been created to notify journalists and interested members of the public of important news and information about access to proceedings and to case information.
General Court Information
- View information for journalists about covering proceedings in this court.
- View information about viewing the court docket and case documents online (most orders and hearing transcripts are posted on this page).
About This Case
Elizabeth A. Holmes and Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani, former executives of health technology corporation Theranos, are charged with wire fraud, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1343, and conspiracy to commit wire fraud, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1349. The charges stem from Defendants’ allegedly deceptive representations about their company and its medical testing technology. Defendants will be tried separately.
Certain pretrial orders are available for download without charge below. All other documents may be viewed/downloaded via the PACER system. To sign up for email alerts when a new document is filed, you may open an account with this Court’s ECF system, then sign up for notices of electronic filing. situs game slot promo
|Date||Proceeding or Deadline||Courtroom (If Applicable)|
|09/08/2021 9:00 AM|
|Courtroom 4, 5th Floor|
Selected case documents of special interest:
|Docket Number||Filing Date|
|Third Superseding Indictment||469||07/28/2020|
|Order re: Holmes’ Motion to Exclude Expert Opinion Testimony of Dr. Master||797||05/21/2021|
|Order re: Motions in Limine||798||05/22/2021|
|Order Granting Motion to Determine that Defendant Lacks Individual Privilege Interest in Disputed Documents||812||06/03/2021|
|Order Overruling Objections to Magistrate Judge’s Order||858||07/01/2021|
|Motion of Dow Jones & Co. to Intervene and Unseal||881||07/30/2021|
|Order Denying Motion to Suppress||887||08/04/2021|
|Final Jury Questionnaire||928||08/20/2021|
|Order re: Dow Jones Motion to Unseal||965||08/28/2021|
|Order re: Pre-trial Motions||989||08/30/2021|
|Supplemental Prospective Juror Packet: Anticipated Trial Schedule, Witness List, and Biographical Questionnaire||08/31/2021|
|Order regarding Preliminary Jury Instructions||1006||09/07/2021|
|Order Deferring Ruling on Defendant’s Motion to Exclude Certain Testimony||1007||09/07/2021|
|Order re: Submitted Exhibit Instructions||1008||09/08/2021|